What we want to do
- We're looking to raise a minimum of £3500 in order to buy and install a new lighting rig for our studio.
- A rig is one of the most fundamental pieces of kit for our society and following the emergency removal of our previous one, after almost 20 years, we'd love to make our beloved station well-equipped and safe for future members.
Who we are
- YSTV is an award-winning TV station run entirely by students, for students, at the University of York. Put simply, we make telly and have crazy adventures while doing it.
- However, we're not just built on current members. We're a family with an alumni network extending across 48 years. We have an incredibly rich past history, and want to give YSTV the best future we can.
- In December 2013, YSTV’s studio lighting grid was condemned upon the discovery that for the last 20 years it had been attached to the ceiling by wood-screws and prayers. If you're reading this as alumni, feel free to have a panic attack right about now. Whilst it's wonderful that the danger was eliminated, its removal has had a hugely detrimental effect on our society.
- It is a real struggle to use alternatives without getting them in shot, 'lighting' is currently not available as a crew position or point of training, and we have an area rather depressingly named the 'lighting graveyard' taking up a lot of space in the studio. Given how many members we have recruited this year and the number of productions spawned, it's a huge shame for our lighting (or lack thereof) to let them down.
- As we get increasingly closer to our 50th Anniversary, producing high quality (and sometimes nationally award-winning) material, and having a fantastic time whilst making telly, has never been more important. Please help us enhance our members' student experience for another 50 years.
- By donating money you will be returning studio shows to their former glory, providing training opportunities for new members, keeping us safe and investing in a long-term lighting legacy. Here's to another 20 years of light!
Where will the money go?
We have tendered quotations from several companies to install a new, free-standing lighting grid that will be safe to use, portable enough to move with us if we ever change studio and should last us several decades or more.
If we reach our full target of £7560 we'll be able to get a grid covering almost all of the studio, professionally installed.
If we raise £3500 we can purchase the pieces for a basic rig and install it ourselves.
If we exceed our target, spare funds will be used to further improve the specifications of the rig, and we'll be able to buy additional lanterns for it.
We have some exciting rewards to add to that warm fuzzy feeling you'll get for donating - from a signed thank you card or a personalised video, to having your name engraved on a plaque commemorating the rig, to even having a piece of the old one sent to you as a souvenir!
The highest donor will get to name the rig or have it named after them, and a record of this will take pride of place on the commemorative plaque. We will also be producing a live show to use and celebrate the rig, which you could appear on or help to crew. Check out the rewards for more details.
Find us here
Help us succeed!
- You don't need to give money to help us succeed! Please share this project with anyone you think would support us; on Twitter, Facebook, by email, telephone, in a chat on the tube (you may get an odd look for making human contact) or by any other means you can think of! The more people who know about it, the more likely we are to make this work out brilliantly.
- We did just say that you don't need to give money to help us, but we'd love it if you did! Please sponsor us and help make this happen.